Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

As I write this, I am sitting at the dinner table still filled with turkey, dressing, dirty dishes with dried gravy and pumpkin pie yet to be eaten. We carried on the American tradition in a simple fashion, with just the four of us and only the food that really counts: fresh turkey, smashed potatoes, dressing, hot gravy, brussel sprouts. Pie and whipped cream to follow.

The girls had school and hardly any one knew about Thanksgiving except a few Americans here and there. Craig was in Aarhus the last few days and just came home at 6 pm. I had been at Danish school half the day and then visited Molly's Open House for their city projects. I didn't start dinner until about 4. A small turkey and a convection oven speeds things up.

Life goes on here as if Thanksgiving is non-existent, so it's up to us to remember and carry on. Maya has now returned to her homework, with a power point presentation due tomorrow for their class' Open House. Craig is exhausted from his drive back and eating his first real turkey dinner (after being vegetarian for 15 years) and he'll fall asleep very quickly. Earlier I had time to squeeze in a yoga practice and think about what I am grateful for:

  • the opportunity to live in another country with my family and fulfill a lifelong dream
  • the opportunity to see the world and expand my knowledge and perspective
  • to meet new people and learn from and share with them
  • to have the security of home, family, finances
  • the devotion and love between my husband and I
  • the joy and purpose my children bring to me
  • the challenges I face that make me stronger and wiser
  • My passion for yoga and all that comes with it
  • My creativity
  • My endurance
  • My patience

Now I must end and help clean up the dishes. Oh yes, I am grateful for a working stove that produces a cup of coffee in the morning.

The Cohen 4 wish you all a lovely Thanksgiving Day. May you remember to remember.

Eat well and fill your souls as well.

Mary Jo

thecohen4dk@gmail.com

No comments: