Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Dog Days of Winter

I hesitate to write, since I have no big headline, trip or tale to speak of. We're getting through the gray, cold days here, one at a time. Craig has barely had a day off since our return from Switzerland on January 3rd. The girls and I process school days, home life and weekend activities. When the weather is cold there is a limit to just how much time we spend outside. Picking up the kids from school is now by car, whenever we can use it. Dressing in coats, hats, gloves and boots is getting old. Unfortunately, it will not warm up until March or later, so we've heard.

The cold isn't as bad as the constant gray skies. Every once and a while we get a little glimpse of the sun, but maybe once every 2 weeks. That's a mental drain. There's just no variety in the weather. The only saving grace is the fact that it barely rains, at least by Portland standards.

I forced myself to go out for a bike ride, even though I didn't want to go. I stalled for 2 hours doing anything I could to prevent the inevitable. But once I got going, I warmed up and actually took off a layer. I rode to the Dyrehaven Park for the first time in 2 months. I rode all the way up to the castle in the middle of the park, in record time. I was rewarded with close-up views of
hundred of deer, mostly males with ginormous antlers. Often, they would just stand on the trail and almost dare me to pass. There were times I was literally 10 feet away from bucks with very big points. I would creep by, admiring and honoring these magnificent creatures. but at the same time I was nervous, like in the final scene from The Birds, where they drove by thousands of birds in their convertible, waiting any second for an attack. The park, like the rest of Denmark, is deep into winter. Muted browns and grays. Trees without leaves. No green or any color for that matter.

Maya just went on a road trip with her basketball team to Hamburg, Germany to another International School. Both the U12 and U14 boys and girls teams went, together on one bus. They drove on a Friday, played one game Friday and one game Saturday then drove back. It was a pretty big deal for Maya, but she handled it like it was nothing. She hasn't even had a sleepover away from out house since moving here, but she goes off to another country no problem! She stayed with a host family from that school who happened to be Swedish. She had 2 different currencies, a passport, a phone and her gear. What a big shot. Their teams got creamed but she had a good time. They only play games during one more tournament, in The Hague, Holland. They will go from Thursday - Monday, early March. Craig and I will take Molly out of school and fly there for the weekend to watch and see Amsterdam.

Other than sports, Maya does o.k. in school. No major challenges. They just finished a unit on Energy and are starting their next Unit of Inquiry called "Where we are in place and time" that deals with peace on earth, including war.

Molly just finished her unit called "finding your voice" which ended with a talent-like show from the 2 third grades. Molly performed a dramatic skit and recited a poem. Others made music, danced and such. Molly is enjoying every part of school and her after-school activities: dance, yoga dn gymnastics. She is learning a forward handspring. Still the same old Molly who needs something to do every given moment. She just went to a birthday sleepover party and stayed up til 11 pm. Most of the others stayed up til 12:30 or 1 am. That's my girl!
There are so many little things about living here I wish I could remember as they happen. I'll try to recount a few:

  • Music stations are really into American pop music. Everywhere you go, American pop culture is evident. Stores everywhere play American music.
  • Music stations are also fond of Bryan Adams. Go figure.
  • Women don't wear hats for warmth (especially those that have spent a fortune on their hair)
  • Women's hair cuts start at $75 for a cheap cut and can run upwards of $200. To add color is a few hundred more. You can tell who can afford it and who doesn't. Denmark is a good country to go gray.
  • Women wear fur everywhere for function and warmth. Women wear fur to walk their dogs, shop at 7-11, stroll through the park, and everything else you can think of. It's real fur folks.
  • 7-11 is very popular here. It's more than just U.S. style. I think it's because corner kiosks are standard, on every corner. 7-11 is like a modern version of the classic kiosk.
  • Almost every home, store and place of business is made of stone.
  • People shop daily for their food needs, often getting on or off the bus or train, which is why there are grocery stores everywhere you look. Sometimes there are 3 or 4 right next to each other. It's not uncommon to pass 10 stores in less than a mile.
  • When I shop with a car, I fill 2/3 of my shopping cart, getting essentials for 4 or 5 days. I take a longer time at the check-out and feel all eyes upon me.
  • In Danish schools, students call their teachers by their first names. At C.I.S., it's half and half. Maya and Molly call their teachers "Ms."
  • Mail is delivered by bicycle.
  • Public swimming pools mandate a cleansing shower prior to swimming, with a poster showing the 9 body parts that must be washed with soap. If you don't do it, there's sure to be some one yelling at you to do so.
  • Fortunately, there are saunas by the showers, which feels lovely. It's the only time I feel really warm in this country.
  • Copenhagen has a circular pool - you never have to make a "lapturn". You can just keep on going. Pretty cool. Most pools have warm water pools as well. They are as warm as bath water and families hang out and play for a long time in them.
  • Many museums have child-friendly areas, introducing kids to art and culture at an early age. As well, many museums are free to children, with adults.
  • People walk their dogs and let them poop anywhere. There is no law or regulation saying owners must scoop the poop. It's gross. Poop lays on sidewalks like land mines.



I started playing tennis with "the ladies" on Wednesdays. 2 in my group are out with injuries so I get to play singles. Felt surfaces. Nice.
I'm going to the American Embassy tomorrow with a friend to help her sell her jewelry at a Vendor fair for the employees. Should be interesting.
Yoga with the kiddies is getting a little better - not so intense. I'm calming them down...

I'll think of more later.
Love to all,
comments to thecohen4dk@gmail.com

1 comment:

Paul Hehn said...

That was a delightful report that I wish I'd seen earlier.

We received your wonderful greeting card today! Thanks. We don't get interesting mail very often... and lately it's a flood of college stuff for Cleo.

Iris's rock band is about to have a practice here (they have a gig coming up at the Satyricon), and the sun is shining, so maybe I'll go for a little walk. I've already been out for a couple of miles today, but at that time it was a grey and a little rainy.

Nice to hear from you! Say hey to the Craig.