Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What a difference a Week Makes

I am feeling much better now. I needed some really hard down time. Perhaps my body and mind felt it was the last "rest" of the winter, as I now launch into spring activities and the procedures to get us home. Although I wasn't really depressed, I felt unmotivated and uninterested and tired. That is so NOT like me. I think that's what bothered me more - the fact that I wasn't my usual self.

I'm waking to a clear blue sky at sunrise, 6 am. The days are rapidly lengthening and with it the hint of warmer weather and cheerier times. I got back on the saddle after a couple of weeks. Monday I rode downtown for an appointment and to the fantastic public library (almost as big as Powells). Tuesday I rode to Christianhavn, Christiana, Fisketorvet Mall and Islands Brygge, where Craig's office is. I explored new roads, got lost, sat in a bakery and ate real "danish" with coffee, of course. The wind was really howling. I rode over 45 km (about 25 miles) in all and the wind made it twice as hard. There were times the wind blew me sideways or stopped me completely. I love riding because it really connects me to the city and makes me feel alive. I see things close-up and get a taste for everything, much more than in a car.

The girls and I had a painting day on Sunday. We got out easels, canvasses and acrylics and let our imaginations go. We all produced some nice pieces. Maya went on a 5-girl sleepover at a Danish friend's house on Friday, after the Primary School disco. She got little sleep but had a fantastic time and never once called home. She is connecting more with her schoolwork, and participating more in the classroom. Molly also went on a sleepover after the disco, then went to a birthday party the same weekend. Birthday parties really keep their social lives active.

I have arranged a group of ladies to go to the Arken Museum this Friday to see an impressionists exhibit. Next week I'm going out to 2 different lunches and an evening affair. My book club is currently reading "Number The Stars" by Lois Lowry. A youth book that is about 2 ten year old girlfriends living in Copenhagen during the Nazi occupation. One girl is Jewish.

This Saturday is the big CIS dinner dance. We are going, much to Craig's disappointment. You know how much he likes to dance. But we are sitting at a table with other couples he knows and has some common interests. I hesitated but decided not to buy a new gown for the occasion. I brought a dress that I only wore once and will do just fine. We are having friends over before for drinks and appetizers. I think the last time we got this dressed up was summer of 2007.

I've decided I have to keep investing in a social life up until the moment I leave, rather than pull back. In reality, all the ex-pats we know are in the same boat - everyone is transient and often could leave with a few months notice as well. The economy is slowly affecting it's way over here and downsizing will occur in Denmark as well.

We are gearing up for our trip to Portland April 3rd. Just 15 days away. We are lining up appointments, gatherings, shopping sprees and errands. Should be an action-packed week.

Love and Light,
Mary Jo
comments to www.thecohen4dk@gmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recognize that bit about the wind yesterday - geez! I had to get off and walk over Langebro.

I don't know you, but I'm happy you've decided to keep forging new acquaintances while you're here. Cliché maybe, but isn't it just a small metaphor of life? While you're here, you must make the best of it.

I know you do the yoga thing, but I'll carefully suggest something called Nia. It's barefoot yoga/martial arts, and it's so much fun. We're a few expats there as well. (I just wrote an article about it in Copenhagen Post. Check www.origo-nia.com) Oh, and Nia is from Portland too!

Hope the rest of your stay goes well!